Monday, July 27, 2009

The Illusion of Safety

I flew to Minnesota this weekend to hang out with my sisters (more on that in a future post). On the way back, I was stopped at airport security because I had accidentally left a partially filled water bottle in my backpack. Oops!

I wouldn't have been as annoyed about this if I hadn't gotten through security on the way to Minnesota with mace in my carry on. This means that the last two times I have flown, I have carried mace on the plane (accidentally both times). Within the last few years, Nic has also accidentally carried his leatherman knife on a plane.

I understand the necessity of security at airports. I understand why they want us to go through metal detectors and X-Ray our bags. However, I don't understand why they have all these "security measures" (take off your shoes, no water through security, etc) when they can't even catch mace or a knife.

Maybe TSA should start thinking of security measures that are actually efficient and effective instead of just an illusion of safety.

3 comments:

Danette said...

I totally agree! It's just a sham meant to make everyone feel all good and happy and safe...neither of which I feel when I get on a plane...

--- The Lisby Family --- said...

This made me laugh. It's so true. They even make me take off Nyah's shoes in case there are bombs in there or something. :)

Mandy and Nate said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun!!! Oh well!! Looks like I better check out your blog more often. I've missed a bunch of things.