Monday, October 18, 2010

Time

Geeze it’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything real on here. In my defense, I have been pretty busy with school, and I have two classes that require us to write or comment on a class blog every week, so I’ve just let this one slide. I assume this will continue to happen off and on for the next year and a half.


I’ve been thinking a lot about time lately. Last week was midterms. For those of you who don’t know, DU is on a quarter system which means that each quarter is only 10 weeks long. I feel like the first half of the quarter is spent getting into the groove of the new classes, and then all of a sudden it’s time to start preparing for final projects and papers.


It’s amazing how each day and even week can feel like they are slowly dragging by when months and years seem to fly by. I get discouraged by the thought that I still have a year and a half left in school, when really, after this quarter, only five months of that time will be regular, full-time school. The rest will be filled with Spanish lessons, summer trips (Peru!), and an internship (I’m thinking maybe Cambodia).


Part of me wants time to speed up so I can finally be done with the schooling part of my life, but another part of me wants it all to slow down so I can enjoy summer breaks and not having to work 9-5.


I suppose the trick to it all is to just try and enjoy it day by day (although that’s sometimes difficult on days like today with an 11-hour day of classes and two midterm assignments due :)) as well as year by year.


How quickly does time seem to pass for you? Is it true that it goes faster and faster the older we get, or is it based on what we are doing in life?

3 comments:

Debbie said...

My life experience says it totally passes faster the older you get. Sometimes you just want to scream... 'slow down and let my brain catch up!!' Ugh! Just try to enjoy every minute. Good luck with school and all of your future plans. What an adventurous woman you've become! :)

Danette said...

An old boss had this whole theory for time passing faster as you get older. The very basic-ness of his theory was that time for a 1-year-old and a 40-year-old is much different in that a day for a 1-year-old is 1/365th of his/her life. Whereas a day for a 40-year-old is 1/14,600th of his/her life. So obviously the day of the 40-year-old is going to seem to go by faster as it is a smaller percentage of his/her overall experience. Confusing. I know. He had pages written up about this, and I'm probably not doing it justice. But hopefully you get the idea :)

Anyway, hang in there and don't forget Minneapolis/St. Paul if Cambodia falls through. They would totally be comparable. ;)

Mandy and Nate said...

Yes time just get faster and faster.. And it sucks.. Just wait till you have kids taking up all your time. I'm not even sure what day it is anymore.. Enjoy school and just remember to breath and slow down and live life..