Sunday, April 12, 2009

Downtown Nairobi, Kenya

Things have been so busy lately! Since I haven't had time to write, I figured I'd give a quick list of things that have been going on:

  • The countdown to Africa is on! We leave in a little over two weeks, and I can't believe it's almost here! I have been spending a lot of time getting things ready to go.
  • I got new contacts and glasses. This is noteworthy mainly because I have a huge irrational fear of optometrists. However, I found some glasses that I absolutely love, so that made it worth it...almost. :)
  • I received my last vaccination this week. I didn't even keep count of all the shots I received, but I'm hoping they'll prevent me from coming home diseased.
  • The YWCA had a ground-breaking and a 5K this week. That has kept me ridiculously busy at work this month, in addition to trying to get everything done for the 5 weeks I will be gone.
  • I saved a life by donating blood. While there, I discovered that the blood in my right finger shows a very low iron level, indicating anemia, but the blood in my left finger shows a very high iron level. Apparently, this is not something to be concerned about...
  • I've been thinking about continuing education options and trying to figure out if I really want to go back to school, what program I want to do, etc.
  • I've been spending a lot of time reading. It seems like my list of books to read keeps growing at an amazingly fast pace.
  • I've discovered some great things lately: The book The Middle of Everywhere (about refugees who are relocated to the US, more specifically Lincoln, Nebraska), the movie Seven Pounds (saddest movie I've seen in a long time, but very good), the movie Haunting in Connecticut (SCARY, and based on a true story, although I would like to research how much of it actually happened), and K'Naan's CD Troubador (he's a Somali refugee poet/rapper...very talented).
Well, those are some of the things that have been eating up my time lately. I am hoping to keep up on posting while we're in Africa, at least so people know we're still alive. :)

4 comments:

kriddlec said...

Thanks for the update. I hope your trip is AMAZING!

Michelle said...

Sounds exciting! I have, and have read the book The Middle of Everywhere. I loved it! I've been passing it around for others to read. Have a blast in Africa!!

Danette said...

Very strange about your fingers. Very strange indeed. Also, you need to see the movie Sunshine Cleaners. You though Seven Pounds was sad... ;)

--- The Lisby Family --- said...

Wow - you've been busy! It was fun to hear what you've been up to and good luck in Africa.